The earliest purple dyes date back to about 1900 B.C. It took some 12,000 shellfish to extract 1.5 grams of the pure dye.
- Purple is a made up by a combination of red and blue.
- Purple is a secondary colour
- The complimentary colour for purple is yellow
- The colour purple is used to symbolise the gay and lesbian community.
- Wilhelm Richard Wagner a famous German Composer, composed his greatest works in a room with purple coloured drapes.
- In Thailand, purple is worn by a widow mourning her husband’s death.
- The purple in the U.S. military Purple Heart award represents courage. The Purple Heart is awarded to members of the United States armed forces who have been wounded in action.
- In Tibet, amethyst is considered to be sacred to Buddha and rosaries are often fashioned from it.
- Purple is the colour of the Crown Chakra.