How to increase your expected sell price by $100K on Open Day!
Property Styling has proven to increase sale price and attract more potential buyers.
A recent home I styled for selling purposes proved to be a VERY successful project for both the client and myself.
The client came to me for advice on selling his duplex as he was looking to buy a place in a retirement village where his wife had just moved too.
The makeover objective
With the struggle of his wife’s sudden move taking an emotional toll I was able to step in and help with the physical burden of de-cluttering and downsizing that comes with selling. His daughter had used me previously to decorate her home and knew I could help provide solid improvements to bring the house up to selling standard.
Many things had to be taken into account with the discoloured walls, worn out old carpet and disorderly furniture. I wrote a detailed report on how to maximize the home for sale giving key suggestions on each space within the home.
The major points that had to be addressed in the home were:
- Creating space and de-cluttering – making sure you could see the floor (especially in the wardrobes) clearing out furniture and removing storage.
- Colour and light – repainting walls with neutral tones and making rooms feel as light and open as possible.
- Repairs and cleaning – making sure items such as windows, walls and floors are clean and where possible making any necessary repairs.
- Depersonalise – removing personal items such as photos and any other items, which may isolate some buyers. (People like to imagine that it’s their home and not someone else’s).
- Decoration – making a few simple decorative changes such as adding new cushions, replacing artwork with modern canvases, replacing curtains with modern sheers and adding in feature lighting can make a huge improvement to the mood of the room. Not only is it the most inexpensive way to do a makeover but it also has the most immediate impact.
Last but not least the exterior of the home needs to be focused on when selling. Simple things like outdoor seating, clearing paths, removing weeds, cleaning windows and painting the front door can add tremendous value and give the property the street value to encourage more buyers. First impressions matter.
The clients implemented all suggestions from my report and the end result was $100k over the original real estates valuation prior to styling.This was a record price for the area and even better the duplex was sold after the first open day.
Don’t forget, if the first thing a potential buyer sees is positive than they will continue looking for more positives throughout the home, if it is a negative, then it is the negatives of the space they will fixate on and essentially talk themselves out of buying your home.
So if you would like some help with your property styling you can download our DIY property styling check list at www.inspiredspaces.com.au